View Single Post
Old 2011-01-29, 17:57   Link #1261
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Or maybe she ways never in that stage to begin with maybe she ways always selfish and power hungry even before becoming an MG. Which brings up a very scary question if just anyone with potential can become a MG whats stopping the contractors form picking the worst girls in the world (personality wise) to have almost unlimited power.
From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be very easy to convince girls to become magical girls, especially not if they get to know that the'll put their life on the line by doing it. So the contractors will probably take any girl who says she wants to become one, even if they already have a messed-up personality in the first place (as was probably the case with Kyouko).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Consider this: when asked what she will do about Sayaka, most subs translate it as "i'm going to beat her down"; but this hardly do justice to her tone of speech. she uses "kutabatte" for "beating someone", thus that line should really be translated "i'm so going to make her SO FUCKING DEAD". "kutabare" is a really vulgar word, underaged (well, anyone) should never say it
Yes, it's very vulgar indeed. Here's what the www-jdic says about it:
くたばれ (exp) (X) (vulg) (ktb) fuck you!; shove it!; go to hell!; drop dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I'm still getting a big empty feeling as to why MG's are so against each other, though. I don't believe the show has explained it good enough. Clearly, there is safety in numbers, and Mami was very willing to work with Madoka. Humankind dealt with this subject in our evolution. We're social and group creatures by nature, because the groups with the "banding together" instinct prospered more than the lone wolf types.

Five girls using just a little of their power to each help take down a witch, would ensure that each of them holds onto their magic powers 5 times as long. Given a statistical drop rate on Grief Seeds, it wouldn't seem to be too hard to store them and ration them out as needed so there is enough to go around. One MG can take down a witch with only a little trouble, apparently, so three or more MG's should make quick work of it. It shouldn't end up much different from an MMO guild that farms a boss over and over, heh.

Obviously, there will be power hungry MG's that don't want to share, but statistically speaking, there should be some people who are willing to team up.
Yes, that's all very true - working together, they would be much more effective. Mami did actually offer Homura to work together, but Homura declined
The only reason why she would decline, even though it would make bringing witches down much easier, is that she is one of those power hungry magical girls who don't want to share.
Kyouko, who wants to attack Sayaka, doesn't seem to be any better there.