View Single Post
Old 2009-07-07, 06:47   Link #207
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb
But the outer burst Kei is more like a directed energy weapon.
Let's see a Gundam comparsion then. The Mobile Suit's armor has close to no defense against beams, but it's shield has many layers of beam-absorbing cosatings(and it can survive a beam)
Same with the black and white dites. The black one don't let the incoming Kei attack to flow inside the weapon, but it faces that head-on and lets other parts of the body get hurt by it too. While a white dite can probably absorb it and protect the wielder from the whole attack despite it covered a larger area than the dite itself.
But if the white dite absorb it, wouldn't it flow right back to the wielder's hand? Layfon make it sound like the dite is just an extension of his body, although that might just be him.

I agree that if a kei burst is a weapon of impact, incompetents are going to be hurt by blocking those attacks with a dite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus View Post
However, I think that we at least were informed that dites were all made of adamantite (hence the short-hand dite comes from) due to how it can be altered and re-composed by alchemical means, the restoration chant. So it should be safe to assume that the dites only difference are in shape but not the material.
Dite are made of different alloy - black, white, green, red - all with their own advantages and disavantages. So far in the novel we know that.

black: heavy and bad conductor.
white and green: very good conductor and good conductor (good for speed too).
red: (anime)seems to be used by people with fire attacks, like Shante.

If adamantite is the real name for all the material, I have no idea. We should have some anwser in a few weeks when vol. 2 translation is over.