Thread: Licensed Ayashi no Ceres
View Single Post
Old 2006-06-03, 01:53   Link #1

Ayashi no Ceres

I recently started watching Ayashi no Ceres. I know it's been out for a few years, but there's only so many hours in a day...

It's precisely this reason I'm asking people who's seen the series this question: how did it end? I've watched up to ep. 8, and it seems promising. However, my years of anime watching experience tells me that Ceres could be great all the way to the end, or it could have an excruciating ending. If the latter, I'd really rather watch something else.

Naturally, people have different standards as to what they consider a "bad" ending. So here's what I think about the endings to the following series, as a sort of metric:
  1. PSME: for a 6 ep. series, it's not so bad. If it had been longer, than I'd consider the ending really bad.
  2. KareKano: it just ended; there's no ending. This is only marginally better than a bad ending...
  3. Maze: what a horrible way to end a series, though I gotta give them some credit in resolving the "issue."
  4. Jinki Extend: another bad ending: nothing happened and nothing got resolved.
  5. Escaflowne: I really liked how this ended. Perhaps too neat for some, but I like happy endings.
  6. Utena: given the nature of the story, the ending worked better than I though.
In short, I guess I prefer happy endings over sad ones, but this is not absolute. Generally abrupt endings are bad. What I dislike the most are Deus Ex endings. Similarly, a series that depended too much on a McGuffin to push the plot along usually ends badly, in my opinion.

Of course, one of you could just tell me how Ceres ended, then I can judge for myself, but that'd be cruel. So I guess what I'm really asking is whether its ending falls into one of the categories that I consider "bad." If you thought the ending was good or bad for other reasons, I'd like to know too. I don't mind a little spoiler, but please not so much that if I do decide to finish watching the series I'd feel robbed.