View Single Post
Old 2010-06-14, 21:10   Link #9
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Hey - don't open a can of Euclid on my ass! I guess when I hear polygon in this context, I think more of the harem shows - you know, dodecahedrons or something. And sure, the triangle is pretty central to the show - but it's still a small-scale romance in my eyes.
A pentagonal pyramid is probably the geometric shape that fits most harem shows the best. My opinion, however, is that good harem shows limit the love polygon to only a few characters and use the rest of the girls as side characters - think Clannad, where the only girls who openly expressed a romantic interest in Tomoya were, in my opinion, Nagisa and the twins, so ito me Clannad came across as a tetrahedron than the pentagonal or hexagonal pyramid you might expect. I wish more visual novel to anime adaptations would take this approach, since most VNs limit the number of girls who will take an interest in you in any given plot branch and limit you to discovering one girl's storyline per play, but I guess many directors feel the story is incomplete if they don't try and include every girl's story in one go even if it ends up feeling messy because of it.

The hardest shows to map geometrically are probably things like School Rumble where you have a crapload of interlocking polygons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Although out of all the romances I've seen, I think the one that most closely fits your description is Toradora.
Toradora is pretty heavy on the love polygon until late in the anime but I must admit that I also enjoyed the progression of the main relationship quite a bit.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.