View Single Post
Old 2012-06-25, 19:53   Link #62
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
And I'm back from the premiere.

Now Hosoda already got a huge round of applause from the crowd of about 500 people when he was introduced before the movie but he got one huge standing ovation and cheers were heard when the movie ended.
So maybe I'm just high from all this euphoria but this is definitely my new favorite Hosoda anime.

Just forget all this "next Miyasaki" talk,Hosoda is Hosoda,period.He's got his style and trademarks. Notably still shots that he really uses in clever ways with characters going on and off the screen for comedic,dramatic or surprise effect.
Of course that doesn't mean that the "camera" never moves,a look at the trailer will show you otherwise (and even a movie like TGWLTT has the memorable Makoto running towards Chiaki scene near the end of the movie) but it really does make those shots stand outs,not to mention that when the camera does pan it can be in really creative ways such as one of my favorite sequence in the movie.I know all this is really vague but I guess all I'm trying to say is what I was saying at the beginning: Hosoda is Hosoda and I hope this movie will further drive that point home.

That said I felt this movie had something his previous ones didn't: a really great OST done by Takagi Masakatsu.Of course that's partly due to the fact the Hosoda really relies on the OST more this time,notably in the early parts of the movie where there's actually very little dialogue.

As for the actual story,I won't really get into it but the trailers really don't show much,and I feel it's best that way.Now obviously one major theme is parenthood and Hosoda said the movie was a tribute to all mothers in the world,but remember that the title characters are the children and they're also very much main characters,watching them develop as they grow up is one of my favorite part of the movie.

I really have no issues with the movie,I felt the character developement of Ame was just a bit rushed but that's just a really minor nitpick if I really have to find one.