View Single Post
Old 2012-12-07, 18:06   Link #225
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
If that were the case, wouldn't she see this current move as a good thing?
Rita might once she's aware of the full impact that Sakurasou has had on Mashiro's personal development.

But good grief, it's only been one episode. It's unreasonable to expect Rita to have already fully registered all the changes Mashiro has experienced since coming to Sakurasou. At least give Rita another episode or two before we make a complete evaluation of her character and motivations.

Quote:
I think the fact that Mashiro has not chosen to pursue painting right now is not itself "evidence" that she can't think for herself. Rather, the fact that she's chosen something other than painting (that she's always done) proves that she is thinking for herself.
That might prove nothing more than Mashiro being whimsical. Autistic people aren't incapable of making choices. It's that, in some of the more extreme cases at least, their choices tend to have a short-sighted, whimsical nature to them. That's why it's important to have caretakers to steer them away from more harmful choices.

Quote:
If someone really lacks the mental capacity to think for themselves, as you suggest, would that justify pushing them down a path they seem not inclined to take because it's better for "the world", even when the alternative would help them do the things they want to do and develop the very independence they seem to be lacking?
Look, if Shiina was a real world person, it's highly unlikely that she would ever be entirely independent. We're talking about someone that tried to microwave a watermelon.

Rita's actions make perfect sense in a real world setting with a real life person like Shiina, which is why I think some people here are faulting Rita too much. But I'll grant you that in a fictional anime narrative, you may well get a Disney-esque happy ending anyway.