Thread: Licensed Bakuman
View Single Post
Old 2011-03-13, 04:57   Link #1855
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I don't get the newbie editor hate people are giving off here. To me he's perfectly realistic and quite sympathetic. He's young, not very confident and he's put together with an author who the senpai at the office are putting a lot of hope in. He doesn't want to blow it because of his own "pride" so he accedes to the headstrong author. Pushover? Maybe. But he's also trying to stand up for his own beliefs a little at a time.

Who knows he could have been a perfectly competent editor with a more compatible author. He does seem to notice earlier than many at the Jump office that he didn't really like Nanamine's work after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
It's remarkable how Nakai was such a sympathetic character when first introduced, but by now O&O have managed to make him so revolting to us. That's good writing.
Eh, I'd say it's rather iffy. Like I'm not sure where the authors want his character to go, or why must we hear more from him.

It's not very hard to make people hate a character. Just let them do horrible things and be a horrible person (like Nakai does and is). It does however leave a question as to why. Bakuman has plenty of perfectly likable, effective "rivals." Like the entire Fukuda team except Ashirogi Muto for starters. Nanamine fills the niche of an antagonistic BUT talented rival (the effectiveness of his character being another issue). Nakai fills...what? The Scrappy? Nobody ever needs Scrappy Doo, ever.