View Single Post
Old 2011-06-21, 17:53   Link #1785
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That was an excellent episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

That being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Shit. Got. REAL.

Months ago, a certain poster have opened a thread trying to discuss "expected vs unexpected", basically a story where you could see things coming a mile away vs one filled to the brim with plot twists. The problem is that this poster kept throwing his weight around by telling everyone that the latter will always be better than the former., and that those arguing otherwise are idiots, even if they kept saying that all is in the execution.

This episode is the big middle finger to that guy.
No, it's not.

The events of this episode may not have been plot twists, per se, but I also wouldn't call them plot events that you could "see from a mile away".

I really don't get the attitude of people who are always against plot twists, and who defend plot predictability. Total plot predictability is dull and boring, regardless of execution, imo. Having a few surprises along the way makes things much more interesting, in my opinion, and I truly don't get why people would argue in favor of a narrative with no surprises whatsoever.

Even if what happened to Mayuri here is not terribly surprising, the way it all went down is a bit surprising, imo, and adds greatly to the effectiveness of this episode. So I don't think this episode supports your stance at all.