View Single Post
Old 2012-11-29, 18:49   Link #13
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As a long-standing denizen of the Suggestions forum, I've thought from time to time about writing "Uncle Seiji's Guide to Suggestions Forum Etiquette" as a possible sticky. Any interest?

While OPs coming and going are annoying, that's small potatoes compared to the fact that no one seems to ever search for anything before posting a request. I'm just amazed that people continue to post queries for romance or romance+action shows when nearly every other thread is about that subject. I never see anyone mentioning tag searches at all, when they are often quite relevant.

This could be handled in part by starting some genre-specific threads like they do at ANN (where generic suggestions requests are banned). While we've talked about this before, it's not that easy to manage. Nor do I think they will be used. I'm betting that even if there were a Romance sticky at the top of the Suggestions forum we'll still see people asking for those shows, though at least it would give us a thread to point to.

So my top-three items would be:

1) Do your homework before making a request.
2) Provide some context and examples of similar shows you like.
3) Monitor your thread, reply to suggestions made, and thank the people who helped you.

Any others?
I think that this would be a fantastic idea and I think the three mores you mentioned are the one that really matter.

But I also agree that people will probably just ignore it because no one can be bothered to read anymore.