View Single Post
Old 2008-01-16, 22:18   Link #245
Reiji Tabibito
The OTHER Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBrotha View Post
Well, besides the two you mentioned, people also might want to read FF for romance, additional background, character developement (for shafted people IE hayate), and sometimes even for tragedy...

...But your two reasons tend to be the main selling points of many series and movies outside of fanfiction as well, for they ARE good things to have in just about anything
True enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
Which is why I'm actually surprised I get some 'more than just good' or 'very good' review ratings from you. Since I'm just a relative beginner in writing. Though I guess I get to hit the right spots at those times.
You do.

Granted, your style isn't as solid as Satashi's, but your works work with much more EPIC source material...

Here's a comparison:

Your works, if made into movies, would probably be the summer blockbusters: Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Spider-Man, Lord of the Rings,, and whatnot.

Satashi's works, if made into movies, would be the romantic comedies:
Love Actually, When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, The Holiday, and so forth.

Said another way, Satashi's works are the ones that win Academy Awards (so to speak), while yours are the ones that make $500 million at the box office.

Quote:
Though IMHO, Jail's threat in the 6th Division series provided far more EPIC compared to StrikerS.
True...but saying that you could improve on StrikerS isn't much in most departments...

Quote:
They're pretty high up the ladder, as far as I know...
Tom Clancy you should know. If you don't, then don't say so or I'll send Fuko and her starfish after you.

Clive Cussler is the author of over a dozen novels, going all the way back to the 70s. They feature a fictional government agency, NUMA, and the star is Dirk Pitt, a man who is Bond, Batman, and Indy all rolled into one. Cussler specializes in techno-thrillers.

Jack DuBrul is another author whose specialty is the techno-thriller. His hero is Phillip Mercer, freelance geologist.

James Clavell is the author of the Asian Saga, whose first novel is well known to ANYONE:

Shogun.

The book was made into a miniseries starring Richard Chamberlain, John Rhys-Davies, and Toshiro Mifune.

Umberto Eco is the sort of man who looks even CLANNAD's Kotomi-chan look like a fool - he's received over 30 doctorates from academic institutions worldwide.

He's written TWO novels, both amazing.

The first was The Name of the Rose, which was later made into a movie with Sean Connery. Despite the AWESOME lead actor, the movie STILL does not compare to the book.

The other is Foucault's Pendulum, which I'm reading right now.

Be warned: Eco is NOT an easy read. I sometimes find myself having to go back and reread sections -

- and I was reading guys like Tolkien, Dumas, and Bram Stoker at the age of TEN.

Right now, I'm looking for a copy of Murasaki's Genji Monogatari - if THAT tells you anymore.

Quote:
I though you meant 'nya~' that's the equivalent of 'meow~' in Japanese...
<frowns>

Do I have to get out Mr. Beat Stick again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
Spoiler for SbtB random moment:

You seem to know some things... do you play?
Reiji Tabibito is offline   Reply With Quote