Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-20, 22:02   Link #5520
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, yes. But their money is as good as anyone else's. Indistinguishable, in fact. (We have a saying about it. "L'argent n'a pas d'odeur". "Money has no smell".)
Oh, but money does smell. Money is power. It's very well understood here, which is why people are quite sensitive.

More directly speaking, this is the same principle at work as the question if a "private" restaurant can refuse a client or a "private" bus system can refuse a passenger based on his or her color of skin. The American answer? Nein. Businesses open to the "public" are public space, to be as free from discrimination as realistically possible, according to rulings handed down during the Civil Rights Era when a proper liberal sat on the court for once (); and this is on an even bigger scale than a restaurant. Much bigger.

Somebody will be fired for this, and I hope it's not the scapegoat.

Quote:
Eh. I'm not so sure about that. But then around here we sell calendars of naked athletes.
But while the ladies back in the days would scream for David Beckham and not Ryan Giggs (or would they?), it's not like Beckham got there because he was kinda cute. He got their because he kicked butt, or balls...eh, you know what I mean.

Likewise, Kobe got there not because he was black, tall, dark, handsome, whatever, but because he was that good at basketball.