View Single Post
Old 2009-02-07, 06:22   Link #51
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Theoretically it's supposed to last 100 years, but I've heard of burned media becoming unreadable after only a few years.

I've had good luck with the TDK stuff I used in the past, but I do worry about all the outsourced media codes I'm seeing with their discs now. Plus I recently started looking into dual layer burns, and have been having horrible luck with their discs for that - however, I'm not sure if that's the discs or my burner.
Yeah, you're not alone. For DL, the only one to get are the Verbatim 8x DVD+R DLs (MKM 003).

Quote:
Is there actually more detail in the HD version, or is it just sharper? Even 80s shows will look sharper in native HD compared to an upscale:
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8008/hdow6.jpg

(Mastering can also effect how good a series looks even using the same medium I've seen screencaps comparing the R2 and R1 DVDs of Shakugan no Shana that don't look far off that Gunbuster comparison.)
I think there's more detail because it looks like its mastered from the source -- as if it's produced from higher resolution snapshots of the original cells or source stock, as opposed to upscaling a post-production, lower resolution source like DVD where you're scaling something with already lost details in addition to enlarging compression artifacts. Even if the source stock is digital with a less-than-HD native resolution, upscaling from there should still be better than upscaling from DVDs where the encoder can use some good filters while avoiding compression artifacts.

However some BDs have issues and don't look so great like Air and Full Metal Panic
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote