View Single Post
Old 2010-11-03, 20:37   Link #486
YaminoSeigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
It wasn't just me!

Though I do have to disagree with him on limiting his field of vision, while true, there are advantages. My experience playing practically nothing but snipers in FPSes tells me that it doesn't matter if you can see everything, just that you can see enough, and often times you're better off limiting your own field of vision because it also limits the angles the enemy can view you from, and that keeps you from getting sniped yourself from some sniper out of your field of vision or getting bullets sprayed in your direction by guys with assault rifles or SAWs. Even if someone did know you were there, the limited field of view doubles as cover, so they just pelt the terrain with bullets. Sniping from out in the open is just too exposed. You will die. Someone will see you and you will die, either by someone shooting you or flanking you and knifing you in the back.

Annnd asteroids in real life aren't like in Star Wars. Secondly it really isn't about being stationary but stationary relative to another object, and given how much they were moving that's never going to happen. I just assume the targeting systems can adjust for the relatively predictable movement of the asteroid. Plus you'll note that ultimately Alto has to go and MAKE Brera stationary so Michel can take the shot.

That said, I still debate just how practical Michel's sniper rifle really is given the speed of Macross dogfights. It only works if you have someone pin the other guy, you get a sneak attack on them when they aren't expecting it, or you're picking off Destroids and gun emplacements on a fortified capital ship so someone else can go in a drop a reaction missile on it. It's a very specialized weapon IMO.
One of the issue that Macross F is lacking of Realism i believe, even though there are explosions everywhere some of the stuff they show is really unconvincing, where as the older macross even though it is older the dogfight are more convincing compared to frontier. IIRC Itano and Kawamori did ride a real jet fighter in order to create the crazy manuver for Plus

One of the aspect that i am disappointed as well with frontier is how they treat the love triangle, i think the balance of the love triangle is either toppled too early or biased from the beginning and concluded in cliffhanger which perhaps something to do for the movie. The conclusion of the triangle is similar to macross 7 but the difference is that in frontier Alto has choosen Sheryl earlier on and seem to be indecisive in the end on which girl he want to choose.