View Single Post
Old 2013-06-16, 15:00   Link #2129
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
And apparently no news on any new series, movie or OVA as given at all last night.

Fuck.
No surprise there. The movie ended the series on quite a positive note, and I suspect KyoAni has no interest in picking it up again. At least, not for quite a while. And I think they've got sound reasons for doing so.

First: There's not really enough material in the two follow-on comics to make another movie. The movie worked because it had forty-one TV/OVA episodes to fit into. Making the follow-on stories into a movie has the problem of having to introduce all these new characters and their backstories, plus all the new settings, within the space of two hours.

Second: While they could've made a TV series or OVA out of the two follow-on series ... a lot of effort was made to focus the series around the YuiAzu dynamic, or the character dynamics of the First Four. Neither follow-on really captures that. The high-school follow-on only has Azusa + miscellaneous characters, and is pretty much a rehash of original K-ON! The college follow-on has the First Four, but it takes place in college ... a place anime directors these days simply don't like to go to. It, too, also rehashes a lot of K-ON! plot standbys; and has the added problem of heavily diluting the character dynamics of the First Four with their experiences in the college music club.

Third: Both follow-on series were relatively poor sellers. Also, KyoAni allowed the production staff of K-ON! to produce an original show of their own, which floated similar art style and was of the same character-driven light-and-fluffy slice-of-moe-life genre as K-ON! ... which also did poorly.

Fourth: KyoAni has, at last count, three projects in the pipe. Four if you count the Chunnibuyo recap movie. For that reason alone, I wouldn't have expected a K-ON! related TV announcement for at least another year.