View Single Post
Old 2011-06-25, 13:48   Link #145
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Like one of my friends said the ending was "okay" and about what I expected, but sometimes it's about the journey as opposed to the ending of it that matters and in this case the journey of getting to know these characters and seeing how Menma's death affected them, causing them to drift apart only to reunite years later with her sudden re-appearance, was consistently engaging throughout.

I'm particularly glad that when the whole love pentagon thing drifted back to the surface at the beginning of the episode that it was quickly resolved and trumped by the strong friendship theme that has permeated the series throughout. Romantic tension only has so much place in this story and I'm glad the writers realized that and didn't try to make it a central focus so much as a subplot among many.

The final part with the hide and seek was my favorite part of the episode. Was surprised that it actually had me on the edge of my seat a little until Menma revealed herself to everyone and it was nice that everybody got to see Menma one last time (the first time for everyone besides Jinta) before she vanished for good. With the Super Peace Busters officially being a group again they'll be fine for it now, because they have each other to get through any tough times that might be ahead.

Really glad I choose to pick up this show. I should thank [C], because if it hadn't gotten so hilariously awful I would never have felt the desire to try and offset it by checking out the other noitaminA show and would have completely missed the Slice of Life show that at long last managed to strike a chord with me after so many prior favors. I've completed a bit of a journey myself here and like the SPB I feel much better off for it in the end even though there was a lot of misery involved to get to this point.