View Single Post
Old 2009-08-10, 07:46   Link #61
Da~Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
I liked their songs myself. it's great to have songs that you like to play on whatever instrument you're playing or want to play. I've been practicing on them for a while (along with other more 'boring' material) Though anyone starting off should realize you can't learn an instrument by going to summer camps and end up only playing on the beach...

I seem to think exactly opposite as Da~Mike; I liked their music, but the show wasn't much special nor a good comedy. Just an overdose on moe'ness that I can't seem to enjoy. Though implying that pop-songs with mediocore drumming are for babies is a bit harsh...
Ah. I used the wrong emoticon in my last post, as I didn't actually mean that I liked the series. I often forget how easy it is to type something out and not realise that my tone of voice is not accompanying my words (as compared to when I speak).

I found the "moe moe kyun" factor in the anime excessive, unnatural, and rather creepy. More so than other series similar to it like Aria or Azumanga Daioh (though I think the two I mentioned are good in their own ways if you ignore the "moe moe" thing).
The K-On manga is a more bearable experience.

In any case, yes I guess I was exaggerating a little about the level of drumming in the songs in K-On (not really any different from the pop/rock songs of today). I'd reckon that you'd need to be of at least Grade 2 to pull them off with sound technique.

As for REALLY GOOD drumming, one only needs to listen to some of the extended versions of Buddy Rich's "West Side Story Medley", when he packed in some very technical and extremely difficult drum solos.
Other great contemporary drummers of today would include Dave Weckl and Mike Portnoy.

Going back to the topic of musical inspiration, I found Nodame Cantabile to be much better at that! (and a very amusing series too)