View Single Post
Old 2007-11-25, 17:30   Link #160
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Nope. AFAIK, for "big entities" royalties etc, such character uses "we" (ware) or some very archaic "I" (like Watakushi)
Just for the record, Watakushi is not really an archaic form, but the formal form of watashi (kenjougo). It is more humble than watashi (it would translate to something like 'my humble self'), and thus it is user by politicians in public speeches, in business meetings and the such.

Ware,waga and the such is more like mafia, big-corporation like. The pronoun normally used by royalty is "yo", and if you want to get your arrogance across ore is more appropiate, however all of these are male-oriented.

Watashi can be used by female's in most situations, with Watakushi being used in the more formal ones ones. It is more difficult for a female to get arrogance across and still remain formal, however using Watashi and forgoing keigo (formal speech) in a formal ocassion can do the trick.

A female using "boku" is just tomboyish. However there is a recent trend in otaku culture for females using boku and somehow being cute. I don't understand the specifics, but I've heard many of Mizuki Nana's recent songs with that idea.

BTW the reason of Rika using boku is precisely because she copied Hanyuu's speech. There is a TIP that deals with this specifically IIRC: