View Single Post
Old 2011-08-07, 20:28   Link #24
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This episode captures almost everything that is wrong with the show.
  • Too much time spent on little short stories that makes the plot feel extremely superfluous.
  • The comedy is largely hit or miss, and too many times does it come at the cost of humilating some of its characters. While the Ohana fantasy of Kou might've been a tad funny, it desmaculaninated yet another character in this series.
  • Some characters just have to get off the screen. Jinomaru and Enishi are just painful saps of pitiful garbage lying on the side walk that no one wants to spend extended time looking at before they feel they need to GTFO of there like Tomoe in this episode.
  • The lack of an OST really makes the pace in certain spots feel even more slow than it otherwise would be with a sound track to set the mood.
  • The drama leaves its audience very apathetic to the events at play. Who the fuck cares about omelette rice? I actually cheered when Minko bitched that girl out. I mean wtf, are we freaking 5 years old?
  • The main theme of this show, learning to love your work, is really poorly integrated and feels overly forced at times into the show in a manner that makes the show seem preachy. I mean first we take a cliche plot line in this story like a cultural festival, and then we force in the idea of a cafe because it has to do with their work. We then showcase our characters loving to do what they're always doing, WORKING... There's learning to love your work, and then there's being obsessed with your work for unknown reasons. I don't feel this show has adequately answered why they love their work so much and what i means to them, the characters that is.
  • Underdeveloped cast. It is shocking to me that at this point we're still wasting time on episode arcs dedicated to specific characters which are supposed to unveil some greater understanding to many of the side cast when these said arcs in general have done very little for most of the characters. I mean look at Tomoe, what have we learned about her since her episode? In fact, she's barely had any screen time at all this episode for example except having to listen to Enishi make a fool of himself.

So once again I'm left befuddled by yet another Hanasaku episode that had extremely haphazard pacing and character development, and plot, and comedy, or what have you. 6/10