Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-03, 16:48   Link #539
Beltane70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well, "Wave Motion Cartridges", but yes, thick energy resistant armor was on the larger Dark Nebula ships. So thick (or absorbant) on the stations that even a Wave Motion Gun was useless. (My belief is that these "Fusion Shells" are a predecessor to the "Wave Motion Cartridges" which will have more power in them.)

I'm uncetain about the Gamilus Fleet due to them (aside from the Battle at Pluto) being really easy to blow up for the entire rest of the series. Until the Garman ships of the third series, Gamilus ships pop really easy when just about anybody shoots at them. The exception to this seem to be the Battle Carriers, which seem to be able to take some punishment (one of the few ship types that takes a shock cannon hit and survives...even if it was punctured by the shot).

Only at the Battle at Pluto does energy seem to just bounce and disperses off their ships (in the original episode)...

...and in the modern version, the Earth blasts seem to be displaced around the hull by some sort of field. As the beam bends around the ship and then more or less follows its original path.

But so far...after Pluto...the subject of energy bouncing off the Gamilus ships never comes up again. At least in the old version. It hasn't come up yet in the new version.

Though, judgin from the scale increase on the Gamilus ships and their stated weapons...I'd actually take them up against the Dark Nebula Empire. They aren't a fleet of teeny tiny ships with only a few captial ships anymore. There weapons might not be as powerful as they could be, but they won't pop quite as easily against anyone not named Yamato.
As another poster mentioned, it probably just has to do with Yamato's weapons being more advanced than the older Earth weapons. Plus, Gamilas energy weapons seem to have no problem destroying their own ships. If you watch Yukikaze's last scene in the new version at around 09:57, you can actually notice a Gamilas ship being destroyed by a beam fired from another, offscreen, Gamilas ship.
Beltane70 is offline   Reply With Quote