Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-08, 05:22   Link #2642
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I don't know about that... even Yuuki seems like that she got an instant powerup. For me, it just feels that she isn't getting any instant powerup because we know her since the first chapter and all of her matches are shown completely. Because of that we got the gist of her gradual development... but then suddenly she became so strong in preliminary and semi-final because of what? A not-shown training arc with Koromo and the other? In my opinion, Shizu would be the same as her if we know everything about her matches and how her traits in matches were shown. Who's to say that she's not improving on each of her match when we don't even know how she's playing?

She might not have any godlike ability that'll overpower her opponents (or else she wouldn't have a hard time in her previous matches), but I believe that she has some sort of ability that would make her a fearsome opponent. For me, that last match of her was pretty scary considering that she could pull off something like that after getting screwed up by furiten.

tl;dr, in my opinon as long as her abiity isn't something ridiculous like Awai's supernova or Saki death kan then I wouldn't really call it a total ass-pull. I get this feeling that it's not her ability that's troublesome but her traits at not giving up and actually pulled of at the end is what makes her troublesome though. Heck, I don't think that she has any specific ability at all.

...and yeah, it's more like deus ex if I think about it.. but shit like that are what makes mahjong scary for me. I got this one person who often turn around the match by getting high score at the end and take the 1st-2nd place because of it. People like that scares me more than someone with occult ability in mahjong.

On that note.. the newest chapter states that Shizu has figured out something. Maybe she'll find a leeway using strategy by Akado? or maybe something like her previous match will happen again and she'll find a way for her to win by herself?

In any case, let's just see how Shizu will play in the next chapter before complaining whether she'll get a bullshit powerup or not.
Quote:
TBH, though, there were a lot of things that annoyed me about the Achiga manga. The third year in the Inter-High thing, for instance, doesn't even have a shred of support for it in the main manga, and seemed really out of place given how decently players like Ako and, on the other side, Nodoka usually does in their matches. More specifically, it's saying that, for instance, Megan Devin and most of Ryuumonbochi should have been terrible in the inter-highs last year, that Satoha should not have achieved her prestige in the final rounds, and that pretty much every first/second year player that wasn't Kei, Koromo, or Jindai should have just outright been terrible against a third-year player. We saw how well that theory worked out.
For me it's that this manga has an abundant amount of players who have crazy abilities. It's like every person in the team must have some sort of over-the-top ability. Then again, what interest me more of this spin-off is how the Achigas are trying to cope up with their opponents using their standard ability.

Oh and it's not like the current third year would be weak last year. They just got a passive abiity that would make them easier to reach tenpai compared to their previous year... it's a good power up but it doesn't mean that they're terrible during their previous year when fighting against a third year. They might have a hard time than it used to, but I believe that their natural ability would work it out and might still be able to come up at the top. After all, being in tenpai wouldn't mean nothing if you're not getting any score.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote