View Single Post
Old 2008-06-27, 13:39   Link #66
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Well, my argument was geared towards respect claimed by many fansubbers and also other non-professional groups organized around stealing intellectual property on the internet. It seems like you're against any form of respect in this matter and so I apologize for using your quote for my point. I was saying that it's hypocrisy to say the ending credits have no meaning while taking much care to place your own credits prominently and defending your rights (controlling distribution, condem stealing translations etc).

And I never made a point for translating ending credits. As you pointed out, there's not much point in doing so since any relevant information would be japanese anyway. Well, I do like watching openings and endings for each episode and happen to sleep better whenever the original ending was kept in place. I make an effort to believe in something like original vision or at least some kind of authenticity and don't like some random people, often with little or no artistic sense, to disfigure the work I'd like to see.

Oh, and I always thought that claiming it's all just wrong anyways is just as much an easy way out as is upholding some kind of hypocritic ethics. There's always been a lot of contrariness to fansubs but it's just the challange to balance off the ethics with the damage we're willing to deal.