Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 16:23   Link #4027
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
The concept of GuP is actually not very original. I give the production team props for bringing the concept to TV, but this theme with girls & German tanks had been in existence amongst Japanese doujin circles for as long as I can remember. Though this is one of the few series that made sense...
Marina2 was referring to Girls und Panzer as original in the sense of "original animation" rather than "original story". The risk here is financial as Actas is a very small studio trying to make a brand new show, and it's likely that they had to fund much of the project themselves. Making the show effectively the first tank anime as a risk is part of the premise.

With better financial backing, they could have made it a 2-cour show, and they wouldn't have underproduced Blu-rays by this much. Incidentally, this increases the chance for a sequel. With the first show a bonafide hit, it'd be a lot easier to secure funding, and there'd be a lot of incentive to do so as well.

On a different note, I've always liked tanks, but I still wasn't sure about Girls und Panzer until a couple of episodes in. The main source of trepidation was the title: anime loves Nazi fetishization in general, and a German title hinted that the show would lean in that direction. I'm really glad that the show itself doesn't do this, and I give all the credit for this to Mizushima's strong direction. Just a quick glance at the fanart reveals that the fandom would have loved to go in this direction.