View Single Post
Old 2008-03-02, 07:23   Link #6
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I won't vote, I'll simply state the VGM artists I enjoy that are probably overlooked. Right now I can't do an extensive post but I'll give a few tidbits.

Namco Sound Team
The music producers at Namco (now Namco-Bandai Games International) take great care in their music (when they actually do their music in-house instead of getting licensed stuff). More often than not their music match the mood of the game very well. A lot of the music I enjoy from Namco games carry an electronic influence. They also have some good orchestral pieces as well.

Ace Combat Music (Orchestral, with some rock elements, Electronic)
Key Artists: Keiki Kobayashi, Junichi Nakatsuru, Tetsukazu Nakanishi, Hiroshi Okubo
Recommended Albums: Ace Combat 5 or Zero OST

Ridge Racer Music (Electronic music)
Key Artists: Hiroshi Okubo, Tetsukazu Nakanishi, Kohta Takahashi, Asuka Sakai, Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso, Takayuki Aihara
Recommended Albums: R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Ridge Racers, Ridge Racers 2, Ridge Racer 7

Katamari Damacy Music (mostly Electronic influenced music, but very diverse)
Key Artists: Asuka Sakai, Yu Miyake, Hideki Tobeta
Recommended Albums: Katamari Fortissimo Damacy, Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy / We Love Katamari OST

Tekken Music (Electronic influence, Rock influence)
Key Artists: Nobuyoshi Sano, Keiichi Okabe, Satoru Kosaki, Yu Miyake
Recommended Albums: Tekken 2, Tekken 3, Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 4, Tekken 5 & Dark Resurrection

Getting away from the Namco Sound Team...

Some Square Musicians

Yoko Shimomura
I was blown away by her work in Parasite Eve, but really that's the only stuff I've really heard from her. I think she did some Kingdom Hearts music but since I loathe that series I haven't bothered trying the music. She is set to do the Final Fantasy VS XIII music which seems to be a dark game so I am hoping for the same dark brilliance she showed in Parasite Eve.
Recommended Albums: Parasite Eve OST

My favourite VGM artist is... well it's probably Keiki Kobayashi from Namco, I think my last.fm account speaks for that: http://www.last.fm/user/Tsushima_Mas...subtype=artist