View Single Post
Old 2009-02-15, 14:17   Link #66
musouka

This topic is...kinda about comparing yuri to BL, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Female-oriented yuri manga like Gakujou Drops can be pretty ecchi. Conversely, a male-oriented yuri manga like Sasameki Koto can be pretty tame when it comes to sexual elements.

Or it can be the total opposite. Ir really has little to do with the audience.
Yuri's audience isn't as clear cut as you're making it out to be. Most yuri magazines I'm aware of are aiming for a dual readership--it's the only way to stay afloat. (I've lost track of how many times Yuri-Hime or whatever it's called now has been canceled)

Also, I was speaking in generalized terms. When you see a lesbian in a male-oriented show--regardless of whether that show is "yuri" or not--chances are that their lesbianism is a tool used to titillate the male audience. (Conversely, a male homosexual is often used for pure comic relief) In pure yuri, like Simoun, where the cast is focused on female relationships in general, you're more likely to get something other than "The Lesbian" syndrome, but how often do we really get "pure yuri" series?

Manga tends to be a bit wider in what it shows. If we're going by manga, then we do have several series that go beyond "catholic schoolgirl lesbians" to things like lesbian idols, ect, ect. But I still don't see the same breadth that I do in BL--where I can read about gay diplomats or lawyers or soldiers or aliens or angels or knights or...I'm sure you get the picture. But I guess that might be the limitations of culture in terms of careers for women. It's just, you know, even lesbian OLs might be nice--aside from lesbian-oriented 4koma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
EDIT: Ah, and lesbian mangaka usually work for both, female- and male-oriented mangazines. I think it's more than clear lesbian readers read both too.
You misunderstand. I'm talking about series like Rica'tte Kanji. I'm well aware that there are lesbian mangaka working for things like Yuri-Hime, ect.
ずっと変りはしない