Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Darling in the Franxx
View Single Post
Old 2018-05-22, 18:27   Link #3168
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
Nine alpha's speech about how humanity had been perfected by removing useless stuff like gender and emotion was especially disturbing. Without any of that, are we really human anymore? Now we know APE's goal is pretty standard since Eva. Get rid of their bodies and ascend to some higher state of being. But without our biology, which is where our gender and emotions come from, are we really human anymore? As Ikuno pointed out, as terrible as unrequited love can be, stripping yourself of gender or painful emotions would eliminate what makes you who you are. Suffering (and overcoming it) is a natural part of being a human. Are we really human anymore without suffering? Wouldn't some mythical utopia that removes all suffering also strip us of our humanity?
Honestly, for once I'd like to see a story that answers: yeah, why not, we probably would. I mean, we would be different, but then again, so we are now very different from our ancestors who lived in caves. It's pretty cliché to have the villains be the ones who pursue some objective of this sort, and of course do so without any scruple. APE are villains, but that's because they go about doing what they want in horrible ways. If there was a group of humans who freely chose to try and transcend their humanity transforming into some immaterial kind of creature without harming anyone else, they'd still be humans. You could have a story where the roles are flipped, in fact, and the "they're not even human any more!" crowd is the one that oppresses and kills the others, exactly because of this dehumanisation of those who are different.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote