View Single Post
Old 2009-09-03, 00:44   Link #217
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I know what you mean, but somehow I feel depth of some kind in the dialog here more than I do in Spicy Wolf. Serious does not equal deep, and comic does not equal shallow. But as someone who has found Shinbou rather shallow in the past, I will keep your thought in mind. The characters, art, and rhythms of the show are the main thing for me, but some of the lines (and their delivery by Saitou Chiwa, to be specific) are amazing.

All of those things were present in Mayoi Snail, so I didn't feel disappointed in it at all. Equal to the other arcs, for me. I think Katou Emiri does a great job with snail-girl's slight bit of Konata-esque lisp, too.
The business dealings and flirtation in Spicy Wolf is mature and expects the viewer to catch subtlety in their dialog. OTOH, I find the verbal flirting, jousting, and sparring in Bakemonogatari much more "Shakespearean" in terms of the sort of wordplay and clever witty verbal dancing it has.

I don't really think its necessary to say one is better than the other ... its kind of like trying to rate a Noel Coward play versus a Marx Brothers classic -- they're both pretty witty and entertaining. I choose both.

And yes, the voice acting in both has been superb.