View Single Post
Old 2008-10-30, 07:30   Link #52
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
See as much as I find Linux useful - the sheer number of distros and some of them are more painful than others (I'm looking at you Sabayon and Gentoo) the lack of standardization is also a problem.
I see that as a plus rather than a negative. I don't understand what's the problem with having many distros. It just means you have more choices. But seems like people don't like to make decisions.

Quote:
Ease of use - have to give the edge to Windows here
90% of the time both are point and click. The distros I'm using are slowly moving away from CLI. The only time I use the CLI is to troubleshoot. But still Linux troubleshooting IMO is a lot more troublesome and problematic than Windows.
This is highly subjective and corresponds more with what people are used to instead of some golden rule of usability. The example I give often is my grandfather, who was happy with his Windows 3.11 on his old, old machine, until my dad came, scrapped the old PC and put Windows XP on the new one. My grandfather was confused as hell--years of usability standards had flown past him in a whim. He spent more than two months before he was somewhat proficient with his tasks once more (and those were extremely basic tasks).

Quote:
Support-Windows by far
You may need to be on hold for an hour to a call centre in India but they are accountable. The o/s in itself is well documented. Linux support is far from professional and that's to be expected when the helpdesk consists of volunteers. Documentation is hit and miss
Now THIS surprises me. I can google 95% of the time any error I find on Linux and get a hit on someone who had the exact same problem and a solution (or lack thereof) was posted to him or her. There's plenty of information posted on the web, since the system is, well, open.

I haven't had the same success with many Windows problems, and some have forced me to reinstall the whole system (I remember an instant login bluescreen problem I discussed in this very forum--completely non-informative output with no way of producing any useful google result).

You want it or not, the command line is a powerful tool, for working and especially for debugging. If I have a non-booting Linux PC, I can still be reassured that I'll find some sort of output with which I can attempt to fix the problem, and tools at my disposal to do so (Live CDs, etc). I haven't had such luck with Windows.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote