View Single Post
Old 2011-03-15, 09:58   Link #1022
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
A problem that might arise with Rewrite is that AGTH might no support their new Siglus engine... Do you think that could affect it? I haven't tried any of these programs, except Rikaichan, before. I'll test it on some untranslated Umineko at some point.
Hard to say... I haven't used any of those before, but the AGTH site (which strangely forces my browser to download the pages as files) says AGTH uses a "text hook", which spies on the text data that is transferred between the game and Windows. It will work if Siglus uses standard text protocols, but may fail if Siglus does funny things with the data.

A very impressive piece of software though!

If you can find a copy of the Rewrite demo that won't complain that you're not in Japan, that would be the most reliable test.

Quote:
The Rewrite stress test has no "Cancel" button, and clicking either "OK" or "X" on the top results in the shutting of the program. So I wasn't able to make it working.
Looks like VisualArts fixed the bug then...

Quote:
If those patches are common, I think one for Rewrite will be made pretty quickly, maybe even before the shipment would arrive to my end. It's sad, but I guess I need to resort to this kind of "piracy" if I have to. I don't see any sense in restricting an All Ages game like that, they do have international fans just as eager to get their new releases. Unless they're really planning a localization, but they should announce it sooner and not make people worry for nothing.
By "piracy" I meant disabling legitimacy checks (e.g. CD key, disc in CD-ROM tray, etc.) in order to distribute programs to people who didn't buy them. Disabling region-checks would use similar techniques. I don't see modification as piracy if it's done for personal use on a legitimately-purchased item, but I'm not sure what a lawyer would say.

Unfortunately, KEY's past attitudes seem to indicate that they have no interest in non-Japanese fans of their games. Can't say I know why! None of their games have been officially localized, only anime adaptations. I doubt they're planning to do things differently with Rewrite.

Quote:
Do Key releases generally have some fancy extras with their First Editions anyway?
I'm not sure, sorry. I've never seen one of those before...

Quote:
I read about the Memorial Box, would've been very nice to get that one, though I guess it's too late now, or costs much more.
I believe they're out of production. I guess it makes sense, as the box was meant to commemorate a specific year.

Quote:
I posted my YES vote on Ever17 on Aksys, I've been a member of the forums for trying to get Umineko localized. The thing is, I don't have an Xbox and I don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. If I'm getting another console from this gen besides my Wii, that would probably be PS3.
I've heard lots about Umineko... I'd get it if it's localized! I don't have any consoles yet, but a good enough game can persuade me to get one. I think Aksys is a console publisher, no?

Quote:
I have earlier bought products twice from Himeyashop, but that will be down for who knows how long. I didn't have the oppoturnity to check if there was anything of interest while it was still up. As you might have guessed, I have only bought Umineko EP4 and 6 from there. For the most recent batch of products from 07th Expansion, I used AmiAmi, where I'm planning to buy Clannad or Rewrite from also. Jbox's Clannad is a bit more expensive, but thanks for linking me to Remember11. It'll be on my wish list until after Clannad then.
Thanks for the other tips too, might grab one or two!
They closed shop when the Yen got too strong and exports became less profitable, saying they weren't sure when (if) they were returning :-/ I was planning to get Clannad's Piano No Mori from them (they were the only shop that stocked it still), but procrastinated and lost my chance.

I can't seem to find Clannad on AmiAmi... IIRC JBox was the only place I looked that still had Clannad when I bought recently. I like JBox's newsletters as they're semi-educational about Japanese culture! The latest one has left me deeply impressed that the Japanese as a whole are determined to carry on business as usual despite the disasters they faced/are facing.

You're welcome, btw!

Quote:
I tracked it down to a blog post with some info on Clannad patches

However, reading this further, I get the feeling that this "official" translation is as official as Witch-Hunt's translation of Umineko
After reading it, I think the author either misunderstood the meaning of "official", or his/her "not out yet" means "not available"
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote