View Single Post
Old 2011-08-12, 12:46   Link #23751
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiTenpura View Post
It is nothing but overcomplicating things, often with informations that didnt even appear before late in the story that inherently would make Umineko anything but fair play to consider as a crucial part of the story, including the very name Yasu.

So the simple gain, is being able to solve the serie as early as arc 1 rather then not being able to solve much after arc 8.
Though your claim is that it is easier to construct a fictional author theory after EP1 than construct a reasonable theory after the gathering of the clues is over...which I (and I think others) just don't agree with. It's not that your theory has to be wrong...but I still don't see any profit for the actual whole of Umineko as a story.

Basically if you go back, mostly all information necessary to construct a reasonable theory is present after EP4. You have no verification of what is wrong and what is not...but that is basically what it is about. Truth becomes more and more subjective the more it is shared, that is basically what we can get from Umineko. The fact that there is nothing like an absolute truth...
But the basic structure that is also verified in Chiru can be constructed with most of what we get in EP1-4.
Even "The culprit is Yasu" can be infered from EP3 on, because after Battler already points out that 0715 is maybe hinting towards July 15th, and thus his birthday, you can get to 1129 being November 29th, the releae date of ポートピア連続殺人事件...which is basically synonymous with 「犯人はヤス」. And because you can say that Kanon is probably the culprit, both Beatrice and Shannon had a promise with Battler and Shannon and Kanon are possibly the same person...you can easily arrive at the basic structure of the story.

"Fair play" is terribly easy to stretch as a term, I think.
Some people seem to think that he basically has to verify our ideas while we are making our theories...but where is the challenge in that? If he had told us from the beginning that he would take us by the hand and guide us to the goal once a certain date had passed and then would have delivered such a result...yes, that would have been unfair, because we would have participated under false conditions.
The story at least appears to be fair in so far, that many people arrived at the theories that were later approved within the story...so it can't be unfair only because some people didn't.

Fair play does not imply that everybody will reach the goal, just that everybody is given a chance to reach it...though of course everybody enters the game under different conditions based on knowledge, abilities, time, etc.
A person who is a nerd for Japanese mystery fiction, who immediatly connects 1129 to 犯人はヤス is in a better position than somebody who never read any mysteries in his life...but that does not make the story unfair.

As I said, I'm not dismissing your theory as inherently wrong, I just think it's fueld by the wrong ideas about the story as it is.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote