View Single Post
Old 2014-04-30, 16:00   Link #8
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Rather than remaking something that's already awesome, I think it's better to go back to some of the severely flawed anime, particularly adaptations, that could have had a lot of potential in better hands.

Here are some anime that I think would make great remakes/reboots.

Rurouni Kenshin
Tokyo arc has too much filler, and most of it is really bad filler. The anime also ends in over 30 filler episodes that were apparently meant to pad out the anime until the final manga arc was finished, but it ended up ruining and killing the anime.

Shugo Chara
Once upon a time, a production committee decided to make an anime from an ongoing monthly magical girl manga with just a few volumes out (so you know, the total number of volumes when it finished (after the anime finished of course, typical) is 12). Since they were marketing the show to children instead of adults, they made the horrible horrible decision to animate the show in multiple seasons of 50 episodes each. This resulted in tons of obnoxious filler that dragged the ongoing story to a complete halt. To add insult to injury, there was a 3rd season made which has absolutely nothing to do with the manga story and is marketed at a much younger age group than the rest of the manga/anime.

There is no reason to watch the anime unless you really really like Itou Kanae's voice. The OP/ED songs are really good, so just read the manga while listening to them. The manga's pretty damn good with a well-paced plot, cute art and many "hell yeah" moments. It would be nice if we got 39-episode anime that adapted the manga accurately and without filler.

Pupa
This is like the opposite problem from what Shugo Chara had. A production committee was put in charge of adapting a complete 5-volume manga and they ended up producing a 12-episode anime from it. Wait, that doesn't sound so bad, right? Yeah, but each episode was 4 minutes long. Yeah, nobody is going to get immersed in a plot-oriented horror anime with such bite-sized episodes. And from what I've heard from manga veterans it cuts out a lot of important stuff. Needs a proper adaptation.

Corpse Party
This game/VN got an OVA called Tortured Souls. It was a decently entertaining watch for someone who had played the game like me, but I would not recommend it to newcomers. It misses out on the atmosphere and plot details of the game, derails a few characters, and focuses too much on shock and gore. I also didn't like the animated character art style. I want to see a 13-episode TV anime that adapts the game at a proper pace. It would almost definitely be censored for broadcast in parts, but that's fine since seeing all the gory details isn't important for Corpse Party as long as there is a terrific atmosphere and well-paced story.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni
VN readers crap on this anime all the time. While I don't have any experience with the VNs, it was quite noticeably an anime with countless glaring flaws. Many scenes that should have been horrifying or depressing or awesome lacked the impact they should have since the direction was wonky and the characters were not given proper development. Not to mention the absolutely godly music from the VNs was mostly either absent or poorly incorporated.

I think an anime reboot of Umineko with a decent studio and a competent director would be an amazing experience.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote