Thread: Defrag: A myth?
View Single Post
Old 2007-08-15, 03:23   Link #46
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
For non critical systems like home pcs we should disable the swap file. The memory is cheap nowadays. Buy enough mem for your needs and disable the swap file. Is better to have ns access than ms access... besides you reduce the HDD activity by a lot!!!

Currently I have 2 GB of ram and since I don't use more than 1.7 GB I can turn off swap. No more unnecessary HDD writing. All stay in the ram.

About the fragmentation. No matter what file system there will be always fragmentation. How much will it have? It depends on what activity is the HDD having. For example I think the best would be a program doing some sort of defrag whenever the computer is idle. Like putting all files contiguously in HDD maximizing the the free blocks. If there is a free block smaller than a X size then push the closest data to close that free block. That would assure you that your HDD would have the biggest free blocks whenever possible. Of course then your HDD activity would go sky high buy the count at the end of the day.
I heard swap file is needed to run some program. I read somewhere that photoshop won't even work if you disable swap file. (haven't tested it myself... since i cba rebooting ) Also heard swap file is needed in case the memory makes a mistake of some sort. Can't remember the exact details. But i googled a bit when i wanted to disable my swap file. Though after reading i decided not to.

And i don't think the way you mention about defrag would be effective. I thought the point of defrag is locating a file as close as possible. At your way you just closes gaps to make it look nice. But if your 500mb file is spreaded out to much, it will still have to move the thing up and down a lot to read it so you still lose performance/time. I think it has to move the complete file next to each other. Instead of grabbing for closes data that fits in the block.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote