View Single Post
Old 2008-01-23, 19:19   Link #24
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII

From generic discussion thread:
I still don't understand the popularity..lol. I like the show but it is an economic and adventure show. Is everyone just that obsessed with Horo?
I echo your thoughts. While Spice and Wolf is probably better than most of what's available this season, it hasn't really hooked me as much as I would expect it to do so. I guess beautiful naked women alone aren't enough to hold my attention.

That said, some developments remain interesting from a trivia perspective. Horo is certainly a savvy saleswoman, but I don't agree completely with her business ethics. "Fooling" your customer is generally not a good way to build a long-term business relationship, but since Lawrence and Horo were dealing with a foreign buyer they might not meet again, I suppose we can let that slip.

Different currencies and their uses in affecting the balance of power between countries and the Church -- now that's something you don't often see in any form of popular entertainment. Early mercantilism did probably work that way to a certain extent. But I'll have to read up a bit more to be sure. Good work at making technical details like that interesting for a popular audience.

And I guess Lawrence has been tricked by a version of the Nigerian scam. Who is the mastermind, I wonder?