View Single Post
Old 2011-01-07, 09:28   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
Great dubs do exist but personally to me, it can sometimes change the character. The way he/she talks doesn't always reflect well when you hear them saying in original language. English voice acting also fails to deliver emotional impact in some cases when characters are feeling pain or when the situation is grave. So yeah I prefer the subs even though I hate when fansub group adds needless and excessive cursing when originally there isn't any, to make a character look badass or for whatever reason they are doing it.
This is one reason why I'm fairly neutral on dubs vs. subs.

Some of the sub jobs (especially the more recent ones) I've seen have a lot of the added cursing that you're referring to (even in something like K-On!!, of all animes), as well as localization in humor. At which point, I start to wonder "Is the sub text significantly more faithful than the dub dialogue/narration?" The answer I now come to is "Probably...", but it used to be a definite "Yes".

I definitely do see the value in experiencing an artist's work in as original a format as possible, but given the liberties that some sub teams seem to be taken in translation, subs are starting to lose this major advantage over dubs for me.