View Single Post
Old 2021-11-30, 06:27   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

My reaction after the ending may not be as strong or as visceral as what RedLeaf experienced even though it's still a strong reaction coming from me. But that's not a knock against the show (that certain scene with Jinx is a masterstroke) but more like I've become a jaded man when it comes to emotional scenes that happens in entertainment in general. They need to be executed well or bust, and this one is a homerun. Not a "best-ever" homerun but still a homerun.

On that note, I guess nowadays the saying of "It's like Game of Thrones but/with/in..." has become a comfortable & easy blanket term to describe a show with juicy political maneuverings & balls to kill off characters even though there are many shows with such quality that predated GoT and some of them were anime for family-consumption like the original Gundam from the 70s & Code Geass in mid 00s (boy, they really got away with a lot back then).

I don't know about others but at this point, the so-called "video game adaptation curse" is no more. I'd say Castlevania walked so that Arcane could run. I hope Netflix continue this positive trend of giving money to competent people who know how to adapt IPs properly instead of greenlighting projects like live-action Cowboy Bebop that missed almost every point of the original show. It's already proven that most IPs can be done well as movies or shows if the showrunner is actually competent & knowledgable/care about the source material. Heck, The Lego Movie back in 2014 already taught that lesson loud & clear to everyone.

Meanwhile, Sony was left in the dust with their newest (yet again) bad adaptation of Resident Evil and their seemingly lame adaptation of Uncharted (judging from the trailers).

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2021-11-30 at 06:47.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote