View Single Post
Old 2013-01-23, 18:53   Link #1337
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
Actually what I meant with "normal" is that they learn to interact with each other in a "normal" manner. They learn to think and to care about each other.
And they are also talking about their flaws within the group.
If this is really what you meant by "normal", then I don't necessarily disagree with this point in some senses (as this is basically what I said -- that they learn to find friends in each other), but still I don't see how it supports the overall conclusion you're suggesting for the direction of the plot.

Quote:
"This novel is a story about myself who also had few friends, bad communication skills, negative thinking, lacking life experiences and useless delusional habits. "
I'm quite sure that the author sees aspects of himself in the characters. But I'm also quite sure that many of us in the audience are also going to see part of ourselves in these characters, even if it's exaggerated for comedic effect. I don't think that necessarily makes it a "self-help book" for the audience, even if it is a story of hope (that even outcasts can make friends).

Quote:
The members of the club are outcasts because they have social anxiety problems. Yozora has an extreme social phobia.
People with such anxieties are not able to lead a happy life if they don't change (improving their social skills, facing their anxieties...).
They all have some antisocial behaviour, but I'm not sure that "social anxiety" is really at the root of all of it (or for all of them). In the end, most of them are outcasts because they're different from everyone else. I don't think most of them are "afraid" to interact with others or avoid people out of fear of rejection... they're just not good at relating to others, who aren't good at relating to them. And this is why the club is a valuable experience for them.

I'm still not sure that I'm prepared to judge how people can live a "happy life". But it's clear that they weren't satisfied with their original situation of not having any friends to confide in and rely on. I think accepting what they've found in each other is the end point, not becoming "riajuu". Somehow I doubt that even the author has become a "riajuu" himself, even if he's grown up a bit along the way.