View Single Post
Old 2013-01-26, 15:38   Link #360
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One thing that stands out to me about the portrayal of "moe girls" in anime is how a lot of it really is one big tease.

I'm a big fan of yuri, and I'm struck by how often a popular yuri pairing never moves beyond the hint/implied stage. How such pairings often remain ambiguous: Are they "just friends" or are they more? The yuri anime often gives plenty hints supporting "they're more", but it often (if not typically) falls short of outright confirming this (even with just a kiss, say).

Then, look at how romances tend to be handled in KyoAni shows (such shows tending to be very popular and well-selling). How often do such romances feature an actual kiss? And if there is a kiss, how often is it "just a dream" or "just an accident"?

If this sort of approach was disliked by most otakus, then why does it continue on so frequently? No, this type of approach is so widespread and commonplace that I can only conclude that it is a popular and well-liked approach amongst otakus (i.e. Japanese hardcore anime fans).

I can only conclude that otakus love to be tantalized and teased.

And maybe that's fine if you put yourself into the right mindset for it, and are willing to be satisfied by something other than a total "payoff".
I've read somewhere about how otaku yuri fans actually don't want lesbians in their yuri. Something about how they're actually pretty un-progressive, and can't accept that a female x female couple can feel as "complete" as any male x female one.

Here:
Quote:
This story is about the little moments of domestic bliss that are the majority of time spent in a marriage. On 2chan, the response was, "why should I care?" and a lot of derision about lesbians and why they don't want lesbians in their Yuri. That's why this story is important. Because, no, Yuri fandom, especially the male half, are not more open-minded and accepting. If anything they are usually less - sexually immature sometimes, sexually conservative frequently. Otaku in Japan are rarely socially liberal. Social and political equality for gay couples is not even in the playbook, much less a priority.

So when "Fufu" covers this territory, gently, adorably forcing this audience to repeatedly confront the fact that lesbian couples are happy without a man, and would like to have words and laws that protect their status absolutely - it is important.
I think it might have something to do with how yuri couples are supposed to represent some sort of "purity", (hence the association with lilies?) so anyone "I want to have sex with this chick" is viewed as "dirtying" the characters.

I don't really know how true that is, since I don't get emotionally invested in what relationships there *could* be, and I guess I find it lazy for writers or whoever to build up romance, but never take it anywhere.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote