View Single Post
Old 2011-02-17, 22:14   Link #100
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Ok, I just loved this post. I thought we didn't agree at all, but this is basically what I've been thinking of since the show started.

Then again, you do make it clear that you won't like it as much if the show ends like this lol.
Well, the thing is that most of what I outlined there is painfully antithetical to everything I like about magical girl anime.

My instinctive reaction to a magical girl is that it's awesome to have super powers, and it's even better to be able to use those super powers for a good cause. Magical girls are basically Superman in the shape of a moe girl fighting for Truth, Justice, and the Japanese Way. What's not to like?

So to internalize the idea that in this show being a magical girl is a reflection of a wrong choice that will only make matters way worse, and is one of the bleakest existences possible, is a very tough pill to swallow for someone like myself.

But it's hard to ignore the very negative events that have been caused by Sayaka's choice to become a magical girl. Sure, Madoka is suffering too, but it's only because her friend chose to be a magical girl. So, the fact remains that Sayaka's choice is, on the whole, making things a whole lot worse. For her, and her friend.

Madoka doesn't take the magical girl offer because it's an imperfect one, that involves gruesome combat. She wants a better solution than that. That feeds right into pacifistic idealism.

In some shows, I'd find a character like Madoka annoying. But in this one, maybe she's right. It certainly seems to be pointing that way so far, imo.