View Single Post
Old 2009-06-03, 12:48   Link #51
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktruth View Post
I suppose I'll take that as a sign that the Japanese fans liked season two. And to add just a bit more on what relentless has said, most, if not all, anime production companies could care less what fans outside of Japan thinks about their series (unless you're importing their Japanese DVD's and even then I doubt they'd care). They cater to their own local customers and focus on sales and ratings for their show and since it appears the second season sold well in Japan, I see that as not many Japanese fans thought season two was pure crap. All the opinions I've read of it being bad have been from fans outside of Japan so far.
Well, I'm sure that there were people with all sorts of opinions in Japan as well. I'm not trying to say that the actual opinion of disliking something is totally unjustified or anything. But the average sales/volume were around 9,000 copies, which is just a bit under the ~10,600 average for the first series. This is a pretty average drop-off rate for sequel series, and I don't think would have caused any great concern among the producers. Of course, I'm not trying to claim that sales = quality (or "QUALITY"?), but at the same time I find it unfair to lay blanket blame and say it was crap. Everyone has their opinions.

It's the same sort of vitriol we see directed at Zero no Tsukaima, which also sold quite decently in all three seasons. It makes me think that it's a vocal minority who just always need to have something to blame when things don't live up to their personal expectations. *shrug*