View Single Post
Old 2012-09-20, 12:59   Link #20
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Vexx, I've got to ask, do you think that your characterization of Glyc draws heavily on Mio from K-On!, even subconsciously? Because she feels like a more interesting/sophisticated version of Mio in some respects.
I'll use this as a jumping point to discuss character creation thoughts:

All the characters draw from multiple sources, but there are a few elements of Mio in Glyc. They're splashed with elements of Sakaki from AzuDa and touch of Inami from Working! From real life, a couple of friends I'd characterize as mousey (timid, tend to stand behind other people, etc) but who are tall. I wasn't trying to copy Mio as such (though they're cousins in many ways) - I just wanted to play with the idea of a flamboyant lead guitarist who was pathologically shy offstage. Her personality sprang up in my head when I saw the avatar's facial expressions in RB3 after I'd created her. Large doe eyes and a hesitant fearful look, but in bliss when playing her guitar. It still jabs me in the heart when she smiles in the videos. I was shooting for a polar opposite to my twin-tailed stormy imp Tsika with the avatar and Glycerin is what I got.

Original thoughts on Kpau: she is a minor homage to Mugi (K-ON!) with her blonde hair, thick eyebrows and Mugi's undercurrent of sexual interest. However, Kpau's personality is an amalgam of several girls I've known: brash, cocky, open minded, active lifestyle (surfer girl type). She's also a gamer geek and a movie buff, so a lot of her comments will have movie or game referencing.

Tsika... well, the personality is a bit of she-who-is-my-wife and the attributes of Russian women I've known over the years. The Russians I've known have hilariously subversive humor and are very pragmatic, but stormy at times. Now that I think about it, she's a fair amount like my Russian Language professor in college. Petite, long black hair in a ponytail, that humor. She'd go drinking with us (drinking age was 18 then) and she drank a lot and swore. She was only about 10 or 15 years older than me at the time ... quite cute. She was a hoot... Heh, I just realized that connection (frothing memory).

Blar... well, as genji pointed out, he's rather like me in my 30s. I'm consciously trying to avoid the "mary sue" problem and he has some character differences. He's going to make tremendous mistakes and we're going to find that he's not an infinite resource. Originally, the avatar happened to be my first character design on RB3. He originally had a name that was even worse (Spinal Tap names must have umlauts and use alphabet characters only seen in Icelandic). "Blar" is just his stage name that he later took as his legal name. His birth name I haven't decided on yet. The rest of his old group.. those are all stage names as well, the group was all American stock (rather like Death Devil's stage names being english despite the girls all being japanese).

The other characters are pretty stock so far (we haven't seen Sashiko yet) though the club owner Hans is pretty much just the German sausage vendor at my market. Actually, his accent is worse but I thought it looked cartoonish after I wrote it like that.
The doorman Jack is a cameo role of a Jack Black type character (known to associate with Tenacious D ).

Last edited by Vexx; 2013-04-23 at 20:03.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote