View Single Post
Old 2010-01-15, 10:18   Link #2201
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The fact that they were alive was never stated in red. Sure this is a plausible option be it is equally plausible that the "lie" is the fact that the corpses disappeared

1) From one side you have a narrator that tells you that George and the others have their necks almost completely slit, and a lot of people are seeing them and cry and scream.

2) From the other side you have a narrator that tells you that people go check the bodies and do not found them. That scene wasn't even shown, 'though it is confirmed in later dialogues.

What makes you think that it is more probable that the first one was a lie rather than the second?
That doesn't work. That is because Erika was both present in Krauss' room and the cousins' room when people discovered that the corpses weren't there anymore, especially the latter with Lambda and Bern chatting straight away about the possible body disappearance trick.
Unless you are claiming that Bern doesn't even use Erika's POV to check whether or not the narration is true (which would be stupid considering she obviously know the shrodinger cat box concept), that pretty much mean the corpses did disappear.

If however you think that they weren't even present in their room during the discovery, that doesn't change anything: that the survivors lied to Erika. Either way, it is as I mentioned already: the only way for this trick is that the victims were actually alive and were hiding at some point, before being killed (ambushed?).

Anyway, regarding the whole Bern discussion, I must remind you all that Beato was nowhere kind enough: it is indeed confirmed she wanted Battler to resolve the mystery of rokkenjima, but did she need to impersonate a cruel psychotic murdering witch?
Of course not. However, even though it was overdone, it HAD a purpose, and it worked on Battler.
I'm not trying to justify Bern cruelty here, as it was definitely unecessary 99% of the time. However, there might be a reason aside of the "bored to death, enjoying people's suffering" explanation. Suffice to say, there are equal chances for her to be deep down sadist to the bone (I still think it is 50/50). I personally think that ambiguous stance is the most interesting part of her character: that she can be both an ally and an enemy... quite suitable for a cat like her.

Also, I'm rather surprised that people quickly forgot about Lambda's cruel comments as well. You don't need to show a troll face to reveal your true colors either. Lambda had her plenty share of horrible jabs that I don't think she is any "less" cruel than Bern (don't tell me the whole hamburger stuff is softcore: that was basically a bitch slap to Battler).
To the contrary, I think that Lambda still has the potential to be the last "boss", as much as Bern.