View Single Post
Old 2011-11-28, 02:47   Link #632
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
While it is true Kotor 1 and Kotor 2 did not all have extraordinarily complex choices each moment or criticism that followed, I feel like it had both a theme and a character that drove it, which leads to another issue that I think Tor suffers from.

I believe TOR attempts to give your character the impact or importance of Revan without successfully proving it to the player. The reason I bring it up is that at least for Sith Warrior, everyone states how you are the ultimate badass prodigy, but I just don't feel like they make a convincing case. It fact, it seems rather arguable.

In contrast, in Kotor 1 you had the mysterious mastermind character such as Revan in the background. You picked up the pieces of what Revan was planning and what he accomplished throughout the shadows only to learn that you are the mastermind. Your character's existence became absolutely undeniable as the story continues (Kotor 2 also did an amazing job in building up Revan as someone on a completely different level). In addition, you had Malak and others hunting you. Finally, you also had a theme of whether someone can change. In essence Keroko, I feel like there were indicators, whether that be the pieces of Revan's plan you pieced together, Malak hunting you, or a theme of change that gave Kotor 1 some impact.

With the Sith Warrior, you kill off all your rivals so quickly, I just did not feel like there was any Darth Malak or Sion to be your foil if that makes any sense. Without a dedicated theme, villain, or at least some way of knowing you are not some random I just feel like TOR fails to make your character or even the story compelling. The disconnect becomes especially strange when,
Spoiler for Multiple Story Spoilers:

BW has examples of successful story telling, whether it by their own creation (Kotor 1) or Obsidian, but they don't seem to be using for TOR. I do not want to give off some exaggerated statement that the story "sucks," but I 100% believe Bioware could do better. They made Kotor 1 and so I just do not see why they would create a story that seems to lack a dedicate theme and villain on top of a way to make the character's existence matter. Granted, maybe the Sith Warrior story becomes better, but I just think Bioware knows better.
I would say the game's story do well as a MMORPG. Expecting it to be like a single player game seems too stretching to me. The story is engaging enough, though with faults, comparing to, well, vanilla WoW.

Yeah, they can do better with the light side and dark side option. But Star Wars in general is based on the extreme of good and evil (with some rare exception like Jedi Knight II). The only grey area would be Kreia but it would be really hard to fit her into the MMORPG game, where quests are shorter and disconnected in general.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote