View Single Post
Old 2011-11-29, 17:30   Link #2804
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Your overuse of that word makes it really hard to get what you're trying to say; it's like you're repeating the same sentence over and over.

As for the buildup, I agree, but at the same time disagree with you. The series does indeed have buildup it's just that said buildup can only be classified as either awful (by those who hate it) and different (by those who like it). Neither of which makes it good buildup, from a series planning perspective. Good buildup is the type that reels you in with tried and tested methods and spits you out as a fujoshi (or worse) when it's done. But hey, it's buildup nonetheless. I mean it's not like they're not trying, right? Trying to argue that buildup isn't buildup just because it's bad, or whatever, isn't much of an argument..
Sorry for overusing the word.

And when I was referring to buildup, I was referring to Inori's costume (I honestly don't have much problem with the series' buildup besides the fact that I find it slow). Unlike most shows, there was absolutely no buildup to her wearing that costume, as when we first saw her, she was running away while wearing it. And there has been no justification for it even after seven episodes. I see it as similar to that 1990 Captain America movie, where they just put him in the costume instantly without any justification for why he was dressed like a bullseye (they did justify it later, but it was pretty weak). No one's going to take that kind of costume seriously if you don't give a reason for why she wears it, even in this show. Does it have stealth capabilities (it might, but I forgot)? Is it to distract the enemy? It looks more like it'll give you a cold rather than serve as battle armor.

Edit: Oh, and I know Yoko from Gurren Lagann was pretty skimpy on the clothing, but so was everyone else, so I let that fly.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2011-11-29 at 21:59.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote