Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-10, 23:04   Link #194
Midonin
Last Engage

Girls & Tanks 01 - Welcome to the Battlezone

My interest in military weapons and stuff still remains at a low level, but I've watched quite a few shows of these shows regardless, each of them attacking from a different angle. So Ra no Wo To was more about the atmosphere and meditations on the end of the world. Upotte! relied more on trivia and the quirks of the anthropomorphization. Strike Witches was very similar to this in tone, but combat in the air is far more agile and swift than combat on the ground. Like the difference between an Arwing and a Landmaster. (So my military knowledge comes from Starfox.)

In terms of setting, oddly, the biggest comparison that comes to mind is Lime-iro Senkitan, but it's in the modern day and there's no magical powers. Also no Rasputin. So while it's like all of the abovementioned series, it's also unlike all of them. And since I know nothing about military stuff, the strength of these shows for me is going to rely on character interactions. And since the girls here are 100% human (one of the things that made never able to fully invest in Upotte!, as fun as it was), I don't think that'll be a problem.

The mock educational film in the middle was great. It's not very often anime does that sort of thing.

Little details, like Miho's room full of teddy bears, gave the characters some life in their first episode, and the student council's interactions were enjoyable to watch. They're manipulative, but for the right reasons. With Miho's backstory, I can see where the Saki comparisons are coming from. I can find myself getting fully invested in this premise without a problem. The OP sounded pretty nice, and I'm looking forward to hearing the ED.

Since I watch the simulcast, I have a feeling I'm going to be late to the party every week. But I don't mind. It's worth the wait.

Last edited by Midonin; 2012-10-10 at 23:21.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote