Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2008-04-29, 16:24   Link #2823
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Originally she wanted to do the Emerald Ri Maajon because that was what she was assigned to do it, her loyalty to the Holy Land and Tempus Spatium motivated her. Then the reason switched to Limone wanting to do the Emerald Ri Maajon. In fact, Limone was her sole reason for going on living.
lol

I'm sorry, but I can do nothing more than to laugh. People who read my posts here know that I'm seldom disrespectful towards another poster, and that I'm open to different interpretations, especially when it comes to art. But when something as beautiful as Dominura's tragic development is simplified in such a hideous way, I can't do anything else but laugh--not a laughter of joy, though, because I feel you've watched Simoun and barely understood anything from it, or at least regarding Dominura's development.

Loyalty to the Holy Land? Dominura's main motivation towards the end of her development as a character has to do with running away from her responsibilities! Limone piques her interest in such a passionate way because she represents defiance--one of their first interactions involves Limone telling her to "go away". Limone's initial development in the first episodes (due to Aaeru's influence) has her turn from a dutifully respecting child into a rebellious girl. Dominura is fascinated by this, because Limone represents her inner desire to run away from the pressure around her--which includes both the pressure from the church to complete the Emerald Ri Maajon and the social requirement of finally growing up and maturing, which is represented by the choice her gender. The main reason why Dominura is so fixated upon Limone is very probably related to the fact that the latter is still a child in every sense--she's not even an adolescent, and she lacks the responsibilities older people have to deal with. That's why, in the final conversation in the forest before their Emerald Ri Maajon, Dominura tells her that they're both alike. Limone is a child without responsibilities, and Dominura wishes to remain as one.

Now, this whole circle regarding Dominura's development comes to a perfect close when we know of Onashia's fate for not choosing her gender and the final scenes of Dominura living in "another world" are shown, where she is getting weaker and ultimately begins to leave the same golden sparkles Onashia did. Dominura's story is a tragic one indeed, because, even if she's not Onashia, she ends up suffering the same demise. Now, I believe a much, much more beautiful and perfect way of soldering the relationship between Dominura and Onashia would be to consider them as the same character--you're free to believe what you wish, because the show doesn't explicitly pronounce itself in one way or the other. But, given the numerous hints we are give, I consider the show would be much, much more beautiful if we do consider that possibility.

Quote:
I simply say it implies that she never had a lover. No motivation to choose a sex, similar to Yuna. Dominura has Limone, there is no reason to make me think that they would separate or that Dominura wouldn't choose a sex. If they separated, there would be no reason for Dominura to continue on with her existence as Limone is the center of her world.
Well, okay, perhaps my Dominashia theory is crazy, but at least it's grounded on several hints the series provides us. Yours about Onashia is grounded in absolutely nothing at all. Nothing in the series says anything that may help us draw that conclusion about Onashia and her lack of a lover. Why would she need a lover to choose her gender? I mean, more than half of the Simoun cast does so without having one. What Onashia says, at least to me, implies that she wanted to run away from her responsibilities. You know, the whole series is based on the contraposition between the freedom of a child and the responsibilities brought about by maturing. Aaeru and Neviril are the perfection of eternal childhood--Onashia, and ultimately Dominura (even if we don't consider them as the same character) represent the failure of the "eternal maiden".

Quote:
No clear explanation? You are trying to put a square shape in a round hole. The only fact there is, is that Onashia is 10cm taller. Either Dominura is really 19 and can technically grow a bit taller and the sparkly stuff coming from her means nothing more than a sign of being past 17 or she is much older than 19 in which she can't grow taller.
As I said before, it's a silly minor detail. I would much rather sacrifice those 10 cm and have a perfectly closed circle than to claim "Onashia can't be Dominura, even though we have a lot of hints pointing in that direction, because... umm, she's taller! Yeah!". I'd rather have Matrim's respectable speculations than base myself on such a silly detail. If you choose to do so, go ahead, I have no problem about it.

Quote:
You believing that Onashia and Dominura lack in their in development is a biased motive for wanting to try and connect them together. I think Dominura being one of two that went back in time to teach the first settlers how to fly is quite significant as far as the plot goes.
Hell yeah it's biased, because we're talking about art and interpretation. However, I repeat myself for the umpteenth time, what would you rather have? A number of hints that are not solidly connected to each other, acting as a huge red herring, or a "biased" approach (*gasp!* The horror! The viewer making an interpretation out of a piece of art!) and close the circle in a beautiful manner that leaves the characters much more richly developed?

Quote:
If you want to base it on lack of development
I never said that. I think the characters are developed even if you don't take into account the Dominashia interpretation, but doing so closes the circle in a more beautiful manner. It would make Onashia seem much less disconnected to the Simoun cast than what she seems right now (her lack of appearance and relevance throughout the whole series is a bit of a weakness in her development, which is nevertheless very good), and it would make us see and understand the true consequences of Dominura's choice and her tragic future.

Quote:
I think Amuria is on the top of the list.
Probably, but we're not discussing Amuria, are we?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote