View Single Post
Old 2012-03-24, 01:25   Link #30
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Now that the series has ended, I think I can safely that the character I hated the most was Inori. Thinking back on Guilty Crown, I could attribute most of the plotholes to the series being a mediocre teen thing, but anything to do with Inori just hurts me. There was no reason for her to be in this series at all. Fails as a badass, fails as a love interest, fails as a human being (I know she technically isn't one), fails as a character, fails at singing (this one is debatable), fails at plot relevance...just fails.
She drew me into the series. Her character designs were intriguing, and over the first few episodes she played a really good role.

What they did with her was rather interesting, in that I can't recall ever seeing a series pull something like this before. A few days ago you gave a critique that she seemed like a total robot in the series. I think that she had a subdued but strong personality in the first few episodes - but it's true that later in the series she became pretty robotic. I don't know exactly when it started; it was definitely in the second half of the series, and maybe also in the second half of the first half of the series. (So the second quarter... yes, yes...)

In my mind, Inori's screen time was cut back around that time, as well. She was featured prominently in the first few episodes, and then it's like she disappeared. When I think of the female characters for this series, I think of Inori in the beginning, and then Ayase and Tsugumi for the rest (with a little blip for Hare at the mid-point). Considering that Inori was set up to be the female lead for the series, that was a very unusual choice. I'm curious as to why they did that. Problems with Inori's voice actress, perhaps?

The lack of screen time for Inori also hurt the series ending. It was a very touching ending, I thought, but I didn't feel moved by it (and I think I'm pretty easy to move when it comes to the endings of series). The reason why is because, as touching and bittersweet as the scenario was, we as the audience were never really given the opportunity to make that connection with Inori. By comparison, I might have found my eyes watering up if Ayase had somehow taken Inori's place; I'm pretty sure I teared up over Hare's last moments, as well. But Inori, hmm...