View Single Post
Old 2006-05-09, 13:06   Link #66
Geffrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
I'm not quite sure what to think of the ending, Tenma visits Johan who's still in a coma. Then, after mentioning her mother and that he knows their true names, Johan suddenly rises up with an eerie look and tells a little about what happened at the Three Frogs while Tenma stares at him in shock. Then suddenly Tenma snaps out of it, and it's unclear whether it really happened or it was his imagination. Shortly afterwards, Johan disappears.
I'm pretty sure he was dozing off. He was thinking about all the events that happened to Johan, and came to the conclusion of what probably happened in Johan's mind that time when things went wrong.
Quote:
It certainly does give you something to think about though, even if I would have preferred that some more gaps were filled in. Why did Johan get so screwed up specifically, while Nina did not?
Well, Johan experienced everything negative that Nina felt (she told him) and he killed to protect her identity from Klaus Poppe. Not knowing that Poppe made everything "better" for Nina by telling her that she can't become a Monster, Johan became overprotective of his little sister. Because of that, Johan killed out of the fear of Poppe and to honor what his mom said initially (thereby stigmatizing Johan as an unrelenting killer.)
Quote:
Johan somehow felt he did not exist since he did not have a name, and systematically tried to erase his past to make his nonexistance a reality. Knowing his real name, or even just knowing that he has a name (since Tenma never actually told him I think), might have been enough to snap him out of this train of thought. So whereever Johan went, there's a good chance he will not go back to his old way of life. In contrast, Nina never lost herself, and was satisfied adopting another name, and doesn't need to know her real name at all. Can't help but wonder what helped keep her sane, but glad she did since she's a great character. Nina's reaction to Tenma's visit was definately the highlight of this episode for me, really shows how close they have become.
You should read "Another Monster".

Really, you should.