View Single Post
Old 2006-05-21, 21:34   Link #34
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

A great episode. The mystery itself isn't much to look at (especially if you already know everything like I do), but Haruhi's dere dere side was great here. The conversations within the episode aren't new, but Kyoani made the right choice by having the dialogues divided up and carried out through different interesting situations (for example, Kyon and Haruhi's conversation in the cave), rather than have everything explained in just words (which is what the novel pretty much did).

The Gyakuten Saiban parody ("Objection!") was a laugh, there were various other references to other series as well (Kyon's "the eye" + "creaky" music reminded me of Higurashi right away ).

Also, the "debriefing" was also nice. There wasn't a debriefing session at all in the novel (the story ended when Kyon discovered the truth + 1 page of "epilogue-like" conclusion), so it's good to see that Kyoani managed to tie up the story quite nicely.

Then again, "Lone Island Syndrome" wasn't that good of a story to begin with. "Snow Mountain Syndrome" was much better, but I guess that's impossible to do without having "Lone Island" and "Shoushitsu" done first...

=================================

Well then, it looks like the next episode is going to be the original episode mentioned in The Sneaker.

"Someday in the Rain"
The first thing I noticed is the fact that Kyon's wearing winter clothings. A pretty big time jump again (from Lone Island's July), but makes sense seeing as how this will be the final episode (14). The market street might remind some people of Tameiki (volume 2, the filming of Episode 00), which, time-line wise, fits the fall/winter theme. But if it's an original episode, then it's obviously not going to be about Tameiki.
Notice the item that Kyon picked up is an "electric stove" (portable heater). From Kyon's reaction, looks like it's another errand for Haruhi.

Haruhi's "otsukaresama♥ Kyon" in the end was dangerously dere though. Well, it's the final episode (time-line wise) after all, I'm looking forward to seeing how Kyoani will "tie things up".