View Single Post
Old 2011-06-03, 11:45   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I made mention of this in my blog post as well. Jintan's Dad is absolutely doing what he thinks is best, but I think he's erred in judgment by giving Jintan too much freedom. One of the reasons his son slipped as far as he did down the emotional rabbit hole was that his father probably never took him aside and had a "Yukiatsu" moment. I think we can all agree that your son becoming a hikikomori is not a good outcome, no matter the reasons.
Exactly.

Quote:

However, how can you possibly judge him, given the circumstances? When an elementary school boy loses his best friend and his mother in short order, how can he find it in his heart to be harsh with the boy?
I don't think he should be harsh with the boy. But at least try to gently prod him into going back to school, or, failing that, find employment.

That being said, Jinta's dad is a very good person, and I'm glad that Jinta recognizes and appreciates that.

Quote:

I'm not going to knock Jun Maeda, but to me Mari Okada easily exceeds him here because she's earning every ounce of sentiment through incredibly subtle character development and interaction.
I have to be honest, I pretty strongly disagree.

I find that this anime sometimes tries too hard to make the viewer cry. In some ways, I actually think that Maeda is more subtle, so I firmly disagree with you on your comparison between him and Okada.

The reason why I gave this episode 9/10 instead of 10/10 is because it didn't make me cry (which is probably not good given the content of this episode), and it didn't make me cry because I have been thoroughly desensitized to crying in this anime, due to how Menma was handled earlier.

This episode was excellent in most respects, and would have been perfect with more subtle setup, but I really can't agree with this idea that Anohana is subtle.

Where's the subtlety in having characters cry in pretty much every episode?

Even if one thinks that each instance of crying serves a good and important purpose, it's certainly not subtle to use it that much.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-06-03 at 12:09.