View Single Post
Old 2006-05-24, 18:25   Link #1085
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Just for the record I would like to add to the discussion that I do not believe Haruhi's abilities make her "God". Firstly, her abilities simply allow her to rewrite reality, and she has no real control over them. Secondly, a god-figure is usually all knowing and can see anything and everything as it is in its infinite wisdom which Haruhi certainly cannot. To me her powers make her more akin to say Neo's ability to casually manipulate The Matrix but not to fully control it, not akin to a god figure who has complete control over the destiny of everything in the universe (Haruhi cannot see that far or clearly). Like Yuki said, Haruhi is probably a once in a lifetime fluke in the continuity of the universe (however improbable) who has "The ability to control massive amounts of data that a human cannot normally manipulate". My theory is she acts as a medium for the data/reality as it passes through her it bends to her will slightly. Thus, Haruhi is not God, just a human with unusual abilities, a mutant if you will. I'm sure there's some character in a marvel comic book somewhere who has a similar ability, and they are not considered to be god, so why Haruhi?
This is a bit late, but I want to add my thoughts on this.

What exactly is the difference between rewriting reality on a whim and controlling fate? There is no difference. Well, I can't think of any. Can you? Someone who can rewrite reality can make anything happen, have happened, or be right about to happen. How is that not controlling fate? If you want a specific example within the series, Haruhi caused a time traveler to appear around her. Because of this, she's written the entirety of human history up the point where time travel was invented, and then made someone from that era come back to this particular era and join her club. How is that not controlling fate?

But I agree that without control over it, she's not a god yet. Plus, she lacks the information to accurately control things, but she could always rewrite it so that she does have the information, or choose to completely ignore the information when/if she rewrites something.

On another note, I believe that Neo does have godlike abilities, it's just that the writers of the Matrix completely screwed up after the first movie. I mean, really, why is that he can stop bullets, fly, and reprogram agents, but do absolutely nothing else of significance? That's just stupid. He even has to fist-fight manually. It's like the writers realized they couldn't make interesting sequels based on what they did to him in the first movie, so they limited it to the specific random things they had shown him doing in the ending of the first movie. So random, so stupid.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote