View Single Post
Old 2006-05-24, 19:25   Link #1092
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I don't see where you get your idea. Like I said, Haruhi's powers to rewrite reality seems to preclude that of herself. It is unlikely that she has the power to change her nature, but who knows? Regarding a God throwing away Godhood, I have quite alot of experience with philosophical texts.. the general consensus of the philosophical community, including theists, is that God is omnipotent but cannot transcend LOGICAL laws. That is, God cannot do the logically impossible (e.g. making a square have 5 sides).

You're not right in that she changes the PRECONDITIONS by rewriting reality. She rewrites reality in a continuous fashion, that is..

event A ---> event B (rewrite) ---> event C

It does not change the fact that event A transpired, or it is not clear what exactly happens to event A. It is also not clear to what extent her powers extend itself to.. In all, I don't think we should hold the author and creators to such high logical standards. They are not trained in philosophy, and even if they have some knowledge of it, I know plenty of people who hold little amusing "philosophical" thoughts that hold no logical water at all (for e.g. Mamoru Oshii and his theory of "ghosts" <GITS reference> and relationships)..

In fact Japanese works tend to deliberately incorporate time paradoxes just for the heck of it. In this series, they do one with Kyon telling Miruku she has a birthmark on her breast and then Miruku (3 years later) travels back to tell Kyon, who in turn tells Miruku who (3 years later) travels back to tell Kyon... etc. It completely destroys the causal originator... this also happens in AIR as well. It's quite ridiculous, but fans lap it up and authors keep using this technique...
We know nothing about how her powers work. Why does it preclude herself? Please answer that. I see no reason to assume that. Assuming she has power to rewrite everything else, I'd assume that she has the power to rewrite herself until we get evidence to the contrary.

I already conceded about the predeterminism thing, I assume you posted before you read that.

I shall concede about the Matrix, except to say that I, personally, liked the first movie in the way I originally interpreted it. I'm sure it's possible and enjoyable to interpret it otherwise.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote